Q: What does it cost to transfer a vehicle?
A: Used vehicle: selling price X 6% + $21.00 tag fee for a year + $12.00 title fee, if there is no delinquent taxes owed. For additional information please link to our Motor Vehicle Records.
Q: I’ve just moved to Kentucky what do I need to register my vehicle?
A: Title from the other state, proof of sales tax paid, Kentucky proof of insurance, and drive the vehicle so it can be inspected.
Q: How long do you have to register a vehicle after purchasing it?
A: You have 15 days by law to register a vehicle after the date of purchase.
Q: How much does it cost to transfer a vehicle from a family member?
A: If a parent, grandparent, child, husband, or wife gives you a vehicle registered in Kentucky you do not have to pay usage or sales tax.
Q: How much does it cost to record a deed?
A: $17.00 for the first three pages and $2.00 for each additional page plus a $1.00 tax for each $1,000.00 paid for the property.
Q: How do I get a handicap placard?
A: Come in and pick up a form and get your doctor to sign it.
Q: How can I get a disabled hunting & fishing license?
A: Go to the social security office and pick up a TPQY form and mail it to Fishing and Wildlife in Frankfort. When you get you card back from Fishing and Wildlife bring it to the Clerk’s office and you can purchase a license for $5.00.
Q: How do I apply for a marriage license?
A: Both individuals need a picture I.D. and a social security card. The fee is $35.50.
Q: How can I register to vote?
A: Just come to the county clerk’s office in Pineville or Middlesboro and we will gladly register you to vote.
Q: What hours are the clerk’s offices open?
A: Monday thru Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.. We are open in Pineville the first Saturday of each month from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and the last Saturday of each month in Middlesboro for 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Q: How do I become a Notary Public?
A: Notary public commissions are valid for four (4) years. The following requirements must be met:
- Applicant must be eighteen (18) years old or older
- Resident of Meade County
- Good moral character
- Capable of discharging duties imposed by law
- Cannot be a convicted felon
- Applicant must complete application for Appointment to the Office of Notary Public Form. Form may be picked up in County Clerk's Office or can be downloaded from the Secretary of State website.
- Application must be signed by the Judge Executive, County Clerk or Circuit Clerk, Justice of the Peace, or a member of the General Assembly of the county of residence of the applicants.
- The completed application must be mailed to:
Kentucky Secretary of State
PO Box 821
Frankfort, KY 40602-0821
A $10.00 state fee must accompany the application.
- If approved, the applicant will be notified that a "Certificate of Appointment" has been sent to the applicant's County Clerk.
- The applicant must come to the County Clerk's Office to take the oath of office and post bond. The bond may be an insurance policy bond or a property owner can be the surety. The property owner must come to the clerk's office and sign for the applicant.
- The recording fee is $13.00